1949 – Five young mothers (Patty Randall, Carolyn Peck, Gail Goodwin, Helen Maupin Randall and Agnes Crockett) saw the need for a “hospital for children only” in Central California. As they moved forward they realized a Guild system of support was needed and founded the Guilds.
1949, Jan 28 – First Public Meeting
1949, June 7 – “It would be a nonprofit hospital, and would be open to children from all sections of the valley.” Fresno Bee
1949, Sept – Llanada Guild was established, and they held the very first fundraiser at Giffen Ranch in support of Children’s Hospital. They raised $5,477.40. Mrs. T. Wayne Simpson, President.
1951, Jan 17 - $328,659 was raised, “and money was still coming in.” “This was one of the first fund raising campaigns to go over the top her on schedule in a few months,” Dr. Guy F. MacLeod said. “Its success reflects the ability and spirit of people like Mrs. Maupin, Slater, Giffen and Crocket.”
1951, Sept 12, 10am – Ground Breaking Ceremonies.
1952, Nov 12 – Children’s Hospital first patient. A little girl who arrived with a stomach ache – “The brand new surgery was given an extra scrubbing and Myrna Louise Uridge went in to have her appendix removed.”
1990's – Children's Hospital begins plans to move to a new, state-of-the-art facility in Madera County. Planning and building stretched over a decade.
1998, Aug 31 – One minute past midnight, the move to the new facility begins.
2009, June 24 – The Guilds vote to support their largest single donation to the hospital - $4 million towards the continuation of The Guilds Child Abuse Prevention & Treatment Endowment. (A total of $5 million, making it the largest single donation pledge to Children’s Hospital, to date.)
2009, Nov 12 – The Guilds officially celebrates their 60th Anniversary on the same day Children’s admitted their first patient, Myrna Louise Uridge.